Wednesday 10 June 2015

defeat

The ignition  coil and stator coil can both be tested using an ohm meter, to determine whether or not they are providing the proper amount of resistance, and receiving the proper voltage. Ohm meters are expensive and I don't have one, plus I don't know how to use one. The CDI box can't be tested with an ohm meter, and must be sent into a shop to be tested, which obliviously costs money. I'm not sure how to test these components without spending a lot of money, and apparently the part testing ok, doesn't necessarily mean the part is ok. My friend Jeremy also has a 450 sport quad, so we decided to try the ignition coil off of it. The bike started up as normal, and ran after 20 minutes of running (about double what it did before) I was certain we had solved the problem. To my great dismay, at about 25 minutes, the motor died, refusing to spark just as before. While disappointing this leads me to believe that the CDI box is to blame. Unfortunately while running it for those 20 minutes and a brief ride, a far more serious mechanical problem emerged. For seemingly no reason the bikes transmission wouldn't want to change gears, and made disturbing noises when I tried. I feel like the previous owner must have abused the clutch and transmission, because I have always used the clutch properly, never bump shifting or abusing the transmission. I'm terrified by this recent discovery, and have decided not ride the quad, or run it outside of neutral until I have had a chance to investigate further. I'm hoping the issue clutch related, not transmission related. If the problem is the clutch, it shouldn't  be insanely expensive, and I should be able to do the work myself. However if the issue is  transmission related, I could be screwed. The sequential transmissions of a motocross motors are extremely complicated, and are not actually bolted to the motor, instead the are pretty much part of the motor, the gears are inside the crankcase. I haven't had a chance to do any research but im pretty sure that these sequential gearboxes have three shafts of gears that are manipulated by shift forks, causing them mesh in different gear ratios, honestly I'm not sure.  If there was transmission damage,I would not have the skills to fully disassemble the motor to fix it, and the parts would be very expensive. I really hope the transmission isn't broken, because if it is I would have to send it to a shop, and pay money I don't have. Well throughout the course of this project I didn't fix anything and things got worse. While there is no doubt I failed my first goal, I did manage to achieve my smaller secondary goals.

1 comment:

  1. These projects are mainly about learning through autonomy, mastery, and purpose. You clearly learned plenty and invested more time and energy than I would have dared assign. It is good to see your sudden burst of posts, but spreading them out a bit would have helped.

    The journey isn't over. I hope the mechanical issues prove to be less significant and expensive than some of the scarier possibilities. Your passion was clear, and I learned from your clear and enthusiastic explanations, both on paper and in person. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete